Novec™ 1230 fluid is a highly efficient fire extinguishant that can be used for flooding applications in engineered and pre-engineered systems. It is ideal for special hazards: spaces where the continuous operation of high-value equipment is paramount. Examples include: telecommunication switch rooms, computer and electronic control rooms, hazards aboard ships and critical military applications such as vehicle engine and crew bay protection. It is also ideal for environments such as libraries, cultural facilities, storage rooms, archives and museums, where valuable items must not be damaged by a fire extinguishing agent.
Novec 1230 fluid offers a long-term, sustainable technology that has the greatest margin of safety, the lowest GWP for chemical clean agent alternatives, and zero ozone depletion potential.
What is Novec 1230 fluid?
Novec 1230 fluid is a fluoroketone – a proprietary 3M technology that offers a number of important advantages over conventional halon replacements.
How does it work?
Extinguishing via its cooling effect, Novec 1230 fluid works as a gas, yet it is a liquid at room temperature. Because it is not packaged under pressure, Novec 1230 fluid has unique shipping and handling advantages over high pressure alternatives. Also, systems using Novec 1230 fluid allow for more efficient use of space compared to inert gas systems.
Typical Physical Properties (Not for specification purposes)
|Boiling point @ 1 atm||49.2°C (120.6°F)|
|Freezing point||-108°C (-162.4°F)|
|Density, sat. liquid, 25°C||1.60 g/ml (99.9 lbm/ft³)|
|Density, gas @ 1 atm, 25°C||0.0136 g/ml (0.851 lbm/ft³)|
|Specific volume @ 1 atm, 25°C||0.0733 m3/kg (1.175 ft3/lb)|
|Liquid viscosity @ 0°C/25°C||0.56/0.39 centistokes|
|Heat of vaporization @ BP||88.0 kJ/kg (37.9 BTU/lb)|
|Solubility of H2O in Novec 1230 fluid||>0.001% by wt.|
|Vapor pressure @ 25°C||0.404 bar (5.85 psig)|
|Relative dielectric strength @ 1 atm (N2=1.0)||2.3|
- Time/temperature classification D120 to provide smoke control in industrial and commercial locations
- 120 minute integrity (E) to 600°⁰C for smoke channel use.
- Meets the requirements of Annex C of BS EN 12101-1:2006 for smoke sealing.
- Unlimited width and drop
- Manufactured to suit any shape/size.
- Pocket hem for conduit to increase rigidity.
- Bespoke fixing methods available to suit most requirements.
- Composition: HFC-125 + 0.15% of Limonene
- Molecular weight: 120.0
- Boiling point @ 1.013 bar: -48.3°C
- Density of the liquid @ 25°C: 1189.7 kg/m³
- Critical temperature: 339.45 K
- Critical pressure: 3595 Kpa
- Vapor pressure @ 20°C: 12.09 bar
- Relative electrical resistance @ 1 atm. 21°C (N2=1.0): 0.955
- Chemical formula: CF3;CF2C(O)CF(CF3;)2
- Molecular weight: 316.04
- Boiling point @ 1 atm: 49.2°C (120.6°F)
- Density of the liquid @ 25°C: 11.60 g/ml (99.9 lbm/ft³)³
- Vapor pressure @ 20°C: 0.404 bar
- Relative electrical resistance @ 1 atm. 21°C (N2=1.0): 2.3
- Chemical formula: CF3;CHFCF3
- Molecular weight: 170.03
- Boiling point @ 1 atm: -16.4°C (2.6°F)
- Critical Density: 621 kg/m³ (38.76 lb/ft³)³
- Critical temperature: 101.7°C (215.1°F)
- Chemical formula: CO2
- Molecular weight: 44.01 g/mol
- Melting point @ 5.1 atm: −56.6°C (−69.8°F)
- Density, gas @ 1 atm, -78.5°C: 1562 kg/m³
- Vapor pressure @ 20°C: 5.73 MPa
- Solubility of H2O<: 1.45 g/L at 25 °C, 100 kPa